Sunday, October 28, 2007

"I met a traveler from an antique land..."

Went for a walk today with my camera. The "big bugs" are still around, even as we get ready to turn the calendars to November. This praying mantis had a certain majesty to him that made me recall a mostly-forgotten admonition from (I think) Emerson: in the lines I'm recalling, Emerson said that he would love to meet and befriend whoever could simply appreciate the beauty of nature without wanting to make it his own--that is, who could walk past the rosebush without plucking a stem, or past a praying mantis without taking its picture. Or maybe I felt like Hamlet, who can never bring himself to kill the praying Claudius.


video

Bonus points if you can name the source for this post's title (without using Google!). Here are a couple more pictures snapped during my walk today:

4 comments:

The Ridger, FCD said...

"Who said, Two vast and trunkless legs of stone Stand in the desert...My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair! Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare the lone and level sands stretch far away."

"You know your Shelley, Bertie!"
"Am I?"

David said...

love the pictures

I should follow ideals of Emerson and simply admire nature without grasping it
but to hold and analyze it;
such is the temptation until it is tossed and wiltered aside

Cathy said...

That's no Claudius ambling across the pavement. Poor soul is lucky if he survives mating. Yep. Those bugs inspire respect, but nothing like the respect demanded by the HUGE wolf spider in the shower stall in our cottage. Mommmmy.

I had 'Ozymandias', but my old brain couldn't retrieve 'Shelley'. Dang.

Nice photos, Casey.

I read that the Quakers grew roses, but forbade indulging the senses by gathering them for sensual pleasure. Silly. Gather ye rose buds . . .

hifidel said...

Some nice thoughts here. It really is hard to just appreciate without trying to grasp onto a thing.

Your title is what caught me when it came up on my Blogrush widget. "Ozymandias" is one of my favorites! I think it's given me a new place to pop in and browse around. I am liking what I see at your blog.
-Shelly