Saturday, September 8, 2007

Total Solar Eclipse

Lately, I've seen the image of a solar eclipse a little too frequently -- I'm sure this has something to do with my personal transition into "adulthood," whatever that is. And although it might make me a little bit like Captain Ahab, reading meaning where none exists, I think I might not just be "noticing" it more frequently -- I suspect the image is making its appearance a little more often lately than it typically does (typical by pop-culture standards, of course; it's extremely rare in nature). See also, my post on the Ethics of Seeing.

As a symbol, it is wonderfully suggestive, and works at the cultural level as well as it does at a personal level; I cannot imagine a more perfect representation than the image of a solar eclipse for any major, radical change in dominant culture or personal psychology. Mel Gibson used it in Apocalypto, and Ellen Bryant Voigt made it the cover of her semi-recent book of poems, Kyrie. And I've seen it in a few recent dreams, so...

Here's an awesome video of a 2006 total eclipse somewhere near Turkey, I think:






Click here to see a chart of where and when to view a total solar eclipse. Looks like Aug. 21st, 2017 will be the next good chance for most of us, as a total solar eclipse will be visible on a line cutting across the U.S. Be there or miss the official dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

P.S. -- has anyone else ever noticed the correspondence between the image of a solar eclipse and the image of the pupil and cornea of an eyeball? Some "coincidence," huh "Brian"?:

6 comments:

"Brian" said...

My sister used to say "Co-ink-ee-dink" as longhand for coincidence. Maybe that's a good sign of enlightenment, since it's mocking the fact that people believe in coincidences. But then again, two years later she sold her 26 foot boat and bought a 30 footer because "it wasn't big enough."

So...

"Brian" said...

Preferred Google Spelling: coinkydink.

Casey said...

You don't think Buddha would've bought a bigger boat?

Interesting.

"Brian" said...

What if the Buddha story ended with him buying a Yacht? What would the lesson be?

Casey said...

Does everything gotta have a "lesson" with you, Aesop?

"Brian" said...

Your mom's a lesson.