Thursday, June 7, 2007

My First Painting (in 20 years)

After I found out that I was distantly related to Edvard Munch, I figured it was sort of an ethical obligation to try my hand at painting. Here's my first watercolor, based on my memory of the beach-view in Glen Arbor Michigan, where my family vacationed annually from the early-1980s until the mid-1990s. The island on the right is North Manitou Island. It's a little Bob Ross-ish, but c'mon!--not bad, right?


Here's a photograph that I found (after completing my painting!) for comparision:

Guess they chopped down my imaginary Bob-Ross-ish pine tree.

7 comments:

Wishydig said...

Very impressive. Here's an important question: is that corner-shadowing part of the painting or just part of the photograph?

Insignificant Wrangler said...

I agree, quite impressive. You should use that painting as the header for your blog!

Casey said...

I did the corner shadowing, but it looks better in the photograph... I'll show it to you when you come over.

Cathy said...

My hubby was sitting here as I was blogging and I showed him your painting. We agree - that's darned good. You do your ancestor credit.

Jon Sealy said...

Jesus, Casey, that's quite a Munch-ish sunset.

Wishydig said...

You say

It's a little Bob Ross-ish, but c'mon!--not bad, right?

I say

It's a little Bob Ross-ish, so c'mon!--not bad, right?

Casey said...

True, true...