Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Yessss! -- Good News!

I really don't know how to convince you that you don't know as much as you think you do if you haven't at least dabbled in trying to understand post-Soviet advertising in Russia. To give you an idea: try to imagine a comercial for Pepsi based on the triumphant underdog status of Patrick Henry, whose contributions to the Constitutional debates in the late 1780s did not necessarily win him the argument, but did win him a lasting place in the heart of our nation's ideals -- then imagine the commecial closing with a man dressed up like Patrick Henry taking a big drink of Pepsi and declaring, "Give me liberty, or give me death." Then imagine the Patrick-Henry-actor winking to hint to you that he knows how ridiculously overdone this whole thing is. That's probably a terrible example, but it should give you a feeling for how incredibly much more interesting and intelligent advertising can be in Russia. The Russian Marketing Blog is a wonderful place to start, but an even better place would be Victor Pelevin's Homo Zapiens (2000). It's one of my favorite books of all time, and Pelevin's in my top-5 authors list...

So imagine my joy when I read at Russian Marketing Blog that Pelevin's novel is (finally!) being made into a movie, and will be released before the end of this year. Check out the IMDB page.

9 comments:

Insignificant Wrangler said...

Don't know how you found this, but its pretty cool! I looked through a few months of posts, but couldn't find any ads dealing with Patrick Henry.

You liar.

Casey said...

Santos: I said "try to imagine..."

I made that one up. Not bad, ey?

brian said...

Q-Majine Santos?

Insignificant Wrangler said...

Hmm...

Davo said...

now, I have to admit I haven't checked out the link yet, but from what I remember of post-Soviet advertising, things were far from cerebral. What I remember from watching Russian TV (aside from seeing lots of gratuitous boobs on tv shows and Kylie Minogue videos)were lots of commercials encouraging people to put their pensions into pyramid investment schemes. I'll reserve further comment until I check it all out....

Davo said...

Ok--I love that blog. And I actually have the original "Say No to Vodka" ad in my bookcase in HEAV 210. And who knew that good pasta led to the bedroom? I need to keep up on these things...

Casey said...

But I don't know, Davo... maybe this is just the imagine of Russian advertising created by po-mo Russian novels?

Casey said...

Santos: here we have collaboratively and asynchronously created a mini-essay on what's wrong with e-communication.

Riiiiiight?

Monica said...

Ah, yes, reminded . . . again . . . that I need ro read Pelevin.